CURRENT POSITION VACANCY: Research Associate (Postdoc)
Salary: Starting at $50,000 + benefits and potential for discretionary research funds
Duration: 1 year with potential for a renewable second year
Start date: ASAP (Negotiable)
Primary Mentor: Prof. Dan J. Thoma, Director, Grainger Institute for Engineering
Requirements: Candidates must have a PhD in engineering or a related field. Experience with additive manufacturing and grant writing is a plus.
Duties: The Grainger Institute for Engineering within the College of Engineering at the University of Wisconsin – Madison seeks a postdoctoral research associate to conduct original research on the processing of metal additive manufacturing components and the failure modes of these parts. This individual will work in a trans-disciplinary environment, coordinate and collaborate with research efforts, and represent the Grainger Institute for Engineering at local and national levels. The successful candidate will be mentored in the multi-disciplinary intersection of materials design and advanced manufacturing while linking the technology to applications (including examples such as implants, heat exchangers, and light-weighting). Both powder bed and directed energy deposition metal additive techniques will be available.
Responsibilities to be developed include:
- Perform innovative research on metal additive manufacturing
- Work with Faculty on program development covering a broad range of technological applications
- Initiate and coordinate cross-campus collaborations to explore the benefits of metal additive manufacturing
- Interface with industry on technological solutions using additive manufacturing
- Operate both a powder bed and directed energy metal additive unit to ensure continued success of the research
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2017.
Additional position vacancies will be posted here as they become available.